For making a short sound piece for “Bloodchild” by Octavia Butler, me and Marco, my partner and kind friend, met at ITP to talk about the book and the structure of our music. The book was a short SF story and it was more than just fun. It contained many things which make me lost in thought. It was very interesting and also very clever . The role of sex was totally opposite to the real world, male became pregnant and female gave an egg to a man just like sperm moves from a man to a woman. This metaphor let us come up with many interesting idea for our work.
We decided not to tell the story literally, such as using footstep sounds to represent a scene that character is walking. Instead of a simile, we planed to express the story metaphorically with sounds tell atmosphere of a scene or tell story indirectly to make listeners imagine the story freely.
- T’Gatoi was lying on a couch and taking with mother of Gan: We felt calm before the storm. (water sound)
- History about the relationship between mom and T’Gatoi. They were old friends and she introduced mom her husband : We will express their a little bit of unbalanced relationship.
3. Something sounds wrong outside. the cage was gone. T’Gatoi brought Lomas inside the house: Mysterious feeling
4. Lomas’s painful looking and T’Gatoi tried to let him give birth. Gan decided to help her: urgent, unexpected and surprised
5. Gan shoot a achti: afraid and scared
6. Climax: Gan saw a birth. (Lomas was devided and T’Gatoi picked grubs. ) : horrible, gross, shocking, disturbing…
7. Gan and his brother, Qui was talking : tension, sad, surprised….
8. Gan decided to bear eggs of T’Gatoi to save his sister: sound of sacrifice.
9. T’Gatoi moved her egg from her body into Gan: we will express this metaphorically.
We divided the story about 10 structures and the duration for each parts would be around 30 secs to meet a total 3 min. But there is flexibility for each playing time to make impact on climax. Our music is an OST of the book and also could be played in a big space or a gallery rather than being listen before going to sleep.
There were a bunch of interesting ideas about what sounds we are going to collect for each structures. But I will reveal it later with collected sounds.
[Passing Stranger (East Village Poetry Walk) by Pejk Malinovski]
Walking East Village was really enjoyable experience. I have been there several times, but has no idea what historical stories were in there. This sound walk starts from St.Marks Church. Some places were changed, but it was meaningful for me who came from outside of NYC to understand the historical meanings of East Village. However, I felt the historical stories of the place which is now filled with stores and fancy restaurants were getting lost as time has gone. It also happens in Korea either.
[Jonathan Lethem’s The Ecstasy of Influence: A Plagiarism]
[Kirby Ferguson’s Embrace the Remix]