[Week 6] Motor

1. Inspiration 

 

e

fd02daacbf691155da78a0973b38cefa

 

I make a cat toy controlled by a joystick and buttons as a final work.  To attract a cat’s attention, I thought about a feather toy and decided to make this with a motor.

2. Raw materials

kakaotalk_photo_2016-12-15-01-20-08_78

  • materials: knitting wool, DC motor and mount, a feather cat toy
  • tools: screw, drill, driver

3. Process

1)Making a tessle

I used knitting wools to make a tessle. Forst, I made a ball of strings, then tied the center of a ball. then cut the each side of strings and adjusted the length and trimmed the shape.

2)Making holes and Mounting a DC motor
I decided to mount the motor the top the big hole for a usb cable to use it for wires as well. The holes on a mount for a DC motor was pretty small and there was rare space to screw them all in four holes. So, I just made one hole each with a hand drill. The next step was a problem. I was worried to make cracks and broke the box, but there was other option to mount the motor except using a screw. If I use a glue or something, it might work I guess, but I did not want to do it with a glue. So… carefully screwed with a driver, and yes… the box had a little damages inside. But it worked.

kakaotalk_photo_2016-12-15-01-20-09_76

kakaotalk_photo_2016-12-15-01-20-11_6
3)Attaching the tessle

The final step was attaching the tessle and connected wired on my breadboard and arduino.

4. Final work

kakaotalk_photo_2016-12-15-01-20-13_20

5. Conclusion

I made a mistake to decide the place of the motor. It should go upper of the cable hole. There were too close, the bottom of the motor slightly hided the hole and a cable could not go throw the hole. Fortunately, there was another hole on the cover to let people open it easily, I used it for a cable and the cover could be closed. I learned how much exact measuring  was important to avoid a mistake again.

 

[Week 5] Two materials

1. Inspiration 

I searched the Junk shop to find materials and got an empty plastic box. I wanted to make something with this using this transparency character. Then I come up with idea to express the tip of an iceberg representing the truth behind what a government or media hide to people.

2. Raw materials

  • materials: plastic box, wires
  • tools: Lego, drill, driver

kakaotalk_photo_2016-12-08-00-38-13_43

3. Process

1) Making holes

kakaotalk_photo_2016-12-08-00-38-11_51 That was the hardest part of this project. At the first time, I used a Lego block with holes to make a straight line. For making it, some sharp tool was needed and I used a small driver to make it.

However, I realized it won’t be easy to make a ton of holes and looked not clean. So I changed to a hand drill and the result was much better.

kakaotalk_photo_2016-12-08-00-38-06_89 kakaotalk_photo_2016-12-08-00-38-08_65                                                                      (Left: driver / Right: Hand drill)

kakaotalk_photo_2016-12-08-00-38-04_80

 

2) Drawing with wires

I wanted to deliver strong feeling to people, so chose the red color wires. Sawing with thick wires was not that easy and took much time as making holes on the surface. The box was not deep so I was screeched on my right hand which should be inside the box. Moreover, making a word readable was also difficult part. If I try this method later again, holes should be dense.

kakaotalk_photo_2016-12-08-00-38-02_21
kakaotalk_photo_2016-12-08-00-38-00_2

 

4. Final work

The truth is behind what we see. Just like the bit of an iceberg.

kakaotalk_photo_2016-12-08-00-37-54_30

kakaotalk_photo_2016-12-08-00-37-52_70

kakaotalk_photo_2016-12-08-00-37-58_35

 

5. Conclusion

During the sawing(?), I thought about a lot and could developed this idea for the future work. Next time, I will do this work with acrylic board and put some messages on it, and attached LEDs on the back. I will present this work later on my blog as well.

 

 

 

 

[Week4] ENCLOSURES

 

1. Inspiration 

I wanted to make a small box to put an Arduino with a hole for a USB.

2. Raw materials

I tried to found some materials in the junk shop. Then I found a wooden box and a box cover! It was small and compact, so perfect for the Arduino.  Even there was a hole in the box for a Arduino USB! However, they are not in a set, so the cover could not be closed.

kakaotalk_photo_2016-11-30-23-08-39_56 kakaotalk_photo_2016-11-30-23-08-41_3

3. Process

Thickness of the box was enough to being grind for fitting into the cover. I carefully did each of four faces and the top to remove the bumps.

kakaotalk_photo_2016-11-30-23-08-37_64
kakaotalk_photo_2016-11-30-23-08-34_43 After doing that, it was fitted perfectly.

kakaotalk_photo_2016-11-30-23-08-35_81Then, I put holes in the cover for push buttons and LEDs. I forgot to take pics of this stage..

4. Final work

kakaotalk_photo_2016-11-30-23-44-55_0 kakaotalk_photo_2016-11-30-23-44-53_91

5. Conclusion

The Junk Shop is amazing!!! I will make more enclosures later.