- Subject: Making five objects with same size and shape
It is so bothering to find a a hair band in a room. It is so wired, but it is so easy to miss them even in my tiny room and I have to get a new one. To solve my inconvenient situation, I decided to make a hair band hanger which I could stand it on a dressing table.
I decided to make a tree shaped hanger with different hanger length and each arm slops away to avoid hairbands dropped.
3. Raw materials
- Materials: wood sticks from Home Depot and wood board from the junk shop. (I forgot to take a pic of the raw wood board)
- Tools: drill, wood glue, tape, sanding machine, cutting machine
1) Cutting wood sticks
I needed five bodies with the thickness wood sticks and four different length of arms for each five hangers. So, the total arms would be twenty.
To make the same length, set width of a cutting machine should be done first.
2) Making holes with a drill
This step was the hardest one and took most of my time. To make a hole in the same place of the five bodies, I marked the distance on the clamp. It was not easy to make holes on the round surface, and I made many mistakes.
- Each body has to have four holes for arms and They should be apart with 90 degrees. But for the first pancake, I forgot this and too much focused on drilling, I made four holes in a same row. Failed!
- To put an arm into a hole, the diameter of a hole would be same with an arm of slightly bigger. It meant that I needed to use a little bit big bit to make a hole. Actually it was not a big size at all, but compared to the body size, it was pretty big size. Because of this reason when I tried with a proper size of bit, the drill was slipped and move to the different position. So I used three different size of bits, from the small size to the actual size. There was the second mistake I made. I used the drill with a different direction! That was why I had to flexed to my wrist and felt pain. After I did with the right direction, I did not even need to use from the small size of bit.
3) Grind the arms
To put them into holes easily, I slightly made the edge of the sticks sharpen. The grinding of the opposite part was decoration.
4) Making stands
To hole hangers, five stands are also needed. Luckily I found yellow painted wood plate in the junk shop, and cut and ground them. Then made five holes with the drill.
I put each of part together with a wood glue and slightly made an angle with arms.
5. Final work
It was so true that it will take 3.14 times than my expectation. I did not expect that just making same holes took this much and painful. I totally understand how much the setting is important to save time and work it done efficiently.
Another lesson I learned from this work was “Do not touch a drill bit which is just used!”. When I plugged out a drill bit and touched it, I got burned on my fingers. I did not know that it is so hot. Always be careful for fabrication even with a used drill bit.