[Week8] Ren, social worker of New York (Final version)


1.What was your biggest take away from this piece?

I learned that a pre-shooting stage is really important as much as a real shooting. We really need a solid plan if we want to shoot and edit smoothly and efficiency. Steaven and I talked a lot, made a storyboard and also made option B for variables about the casting and location. We casted a person who we could interview a first, and also confirmed the additional location where we could deliver the mode of the video. As a result, the solid planning was really helpful for the time management.


2.What were you trying to say with this piece?

We wanted to deliver the complex emotion of working as a social worker and a alien from Asia in New York city as well.

3. Overall, how was your process?

1) Casting: We talked about what story we wanted to deliver and a social worker was fixed as a charactor because many people did not know what his or her role was exactly. Then we casted a social worker.

2) Storyboard: We created a story line and drew a storyboard. Also talked about B rolls.

3) Shooting: We checked the weather and the location, took a video in Washington square park.

4) Recording narration: We prepared the 20 questions including extra questions and recorded the interview with Ren in a quite room at NYU library with a zoom recorder.

5) Editing: We edited the video first as a storyboard and then did the audio. We found a suitable background music which was not distractive.

6) Post editing : After the class, we edited again with the feedbacks about the video. Then done!


#6. Digital Input & Output – Traffic Lights

I made two LEDs are turned on and off by pressing a pushbutton. For this, two digital outputs which were a green LED and a red LED and one digital input which was a pushbutton were needed. LEDs were separately connected to digital output 2 and 4, because they should be turned on and off respectively based on pressing the pushbutton.  I set only the red one was turned on when the button was open, and the green one was turned on when the button was closed. It means that if the buttonState was low , digitalWrite of the red LED should be high and the green LED should be low to be turned on only the red LED. On the contrary to this, if buttonState was high which means 5V was flew through the button, only the green LED should be high to be turned on. The result looked like a traffic light.


#5. Digital Input & Output



I set three digital outputs, a green LED, a yellow LED and a motor, separately. The result was they were turned on in order of writing codes.



So, I put two LEDs in a same digital output and they were turned on at the same time as I expected.


I changed the delay time shorter to allow LEDs to blink faster. screen-shot-2016-10-04-at-11-20-57-pm


#3. Switches (pushbutton) – part 1

I set a pushbutton switch on a breadboard. The start was not bad. However…

kakaotalk_photo_2016-10-04-19-09-56_12 kakaotalk_photo_2016-10-04-19-09-58_38

And I was faced an unexpected problem. I just moved the location of LED connected to the above leg of the pushbutton, then the switch worked in opposite way. The switch is opened with untouched, and if I pushed the button, it was open and current was flew. It was so weird. You can see this with the below video.

#2. Measuring voltage with a multimeter

I used a multimeter to measure voltage.

I compared the difference of voltage following the number of LEDs.

First, I turned the dial of the multimeter on 20V.

(I had turned it on 2V and checked voltage, but the multimeter had not worked because the power through the arduido is 5V.)

1) Set One LED

  • Resistance: 2. 76V
  • LED: 19.4V




2) Set two LEDs

  • Resistance: 1.17V
  • 1st LED: 1.85V
  • 2nd LED: 1.92V



Those were serial circuits and I could see the voltage was dropped from the power to the ground through the circuit.